MSMP 128: Lincoln Kokaram on Building Relationships with Your Team and Management Development
While we can do almost everything, those who have passion are much more productive than their peers who go through life. They excel in life as they work smarter and are not a slave to their business. Although keeping tabs on your employees' progress may be a decisive move to some, Lincoln says that this is not the way to go, but instead, business owners should trust their employees and let them do their work at their own pace and use their techniques. Focusing on the results allows your employees to grow and prove you wrong. Micromanaging isn't going to help you, your employees, and your business to grow and flourish.
Delegate as much as possible to your employees so you can focus on essential things. People will only become successful if they take ownership and responsibility for their works and actions. Knowledge only becomes power when we apply it constructively and positively instead of simply storing information in our brains (although this may come in handy during game night with the boys). Just like learning, growing as a person isn't a one-time thing, and it doesn't have to be rushed either because we have our techniques and ways that are unique to us.
- After mentioning the I'm OK, You're OK book by Thomas Harris, Lincoln says that we are not OK and shouldn't settle for that because we are meant to be great. - 02:25
- Lincoln says that people who have passion for what they do will excel in what they do. - 02:46
- Lincoln adds that business owners should focus on the results rather than the process or techniques because we all have different approaches - 06:13
- When it comes to delegation, Lincoln says that business owners should give their employees the authority to do things their way and let them know that you are there to support them, not when you think you need the support. - 06:33
- Mads says that when you give people ownership of their work, they will develop better ways to do things. - 07:55
- Mads challenges business owners: How much of your time do you spend on your people? - 15:20
- Even as a coach, Mads believes that teaching is the best way to learn because you also get to know many things from different people and industries. - 20:31
- Mads says that the best way to learn is having ownership and taking responsibility - 26:16
- Lincoln says that the "Knowledge is Power" quote is bullshit because knowledge only becomes power when applied positively and constructively. - 28:57
- Instead of being the expert, Mads says that business owners should let their staff grow up and mature their mindset. - 33:33
- Lincoln S. Kokaram