MSMP 105: Karena Calhoun on Finding Your Purpose and Leading People
Welcome to another episode of the Mads Singers Management Podcast! Today's guest is Karena Calhoun. Karena is a mindset, life, and purpose coach whose passion is to help people find their purpose in life and live out their dreams.
Like many people, Karena started in the corporate world, but she decided to take a different path later on and help people. I begin my talk with Karena by asking her how one finds their passion, what steps to find one's passion in life, and how they should see it.
Karena shares that one can take a look back into their childhood to rediscover what excites them; this is important for those who don't have the means to get a personal coach or have a support system at hand. She then adds that people shouldn't rely on one's passion while one's passion can be their purpose. Instead, people should look at things they are good at, things that make them excited, things in society or in the world that make you angry, things that make you want to make a change in the world - these are basic steps that will help you jumpstart the process in finding out your passion.
Karena then shares her experience discovering her passion while still working in the corporate world; however, she liked what she was doing. It wasn't impacting her and the people around her because she was hitting wall after wall.
This then led her to sit down and think about what she's good at and where she shines, and because of this, Karena eventually found her way to being a life and mindset coach.
When we find our authentic selves and help others along the way, there is no goal that we cannot achieve or dream that cannot be fulfilled.
Key Learning Points:
- Karena shares that one can take a look back into their childhood to find out and rediscover what they are passionate about.- 3:12
- Karena says you shouldn't depend on your passion alone- 3:44
- Mads shares what he calls his "excitement meter."- 6:52
- Karena shares what for her is the secret to life - 9:55
- Karena says that it doesn't take much to attain your goals as long as you have that line of sight and know what tasks you should do every day. -11:28
- Karena reveals that she doesn't let being an introvert gets in the way of her purpose.- 12:13
- Mads says that people are motivated differently. - 13:19
- Karena adds that business owners should be able to identify the trigger points of their staff. - 13:34
- Mads says that when you help your employees identify what motivates and satisfies them, even if it's not related to your business, your employees will present themselves in a much better way and be better employees - 14:55
- Karena says, "a leader takes people where they want to go. A great leader takes people where they don't necessarily want to go, but ought to be" - 17:13
Connect with Karena: